WhatsApp has another new function: you can now create your own avatars in the messenger app. You can use this as a profile picture or send it in the form of personalized stickers. We'll show you how it works.
New Feature: Avatars for WhatsApp
Facebook and Instagram have already introduced them, and now WhatsApp is following suit: the messenger app now offers avatars as a form of expression. The app operators share this in a blog post . You can now create a digital version of yourself and use it as a profile picture or in the form of stickers in chats. The 36 different stickers express different feelings and moods, so that you can react to many situations with a suitable avatar in the chat.
WhatsApp already offers a large selection of different hairstyles, facial features, outfits and accessories. Still, the app developers want to keep making style improvements to lighting, shading, and hairstyle textures. The WhatsApp avatars should therefore receive regular updates.
Can I already use WhatsApp avatars?
You can check whether you have already received the new function in the app settings: If you have WhatsApp open in Android, tap on the three dots at the top right and then on "Settings".
On the iPhone you call up the WhatsApp settings via the gear symbol in the bar at the bottom right. If the app update has already taken place, you will see the new menu item "Avatar" under your profile picture. Then you can create an avatar with the following instructions.
Create your own avatar for WhatsApp: Here's how
You can find the new avatar function in the WhatsApp settings. Image: © TURN On Screenshot 2022
To create your avatar as your virtual counterpart, proceed as follows:
- Open WhatsApp.
- Call up the settings – in Android via the three dots in the top right, in iOS via the gear symbol in the bottom right.
- Select the second menu item labeled "Avatar."
- In the window that opens, tap on "Create your avatar".
- Confirm the information in the next step with "Let's go".
- First select a skin tone for your avatar, then you can specify hairstyle, hair color, body type, face shape and features, outfit, accessories, etc.
- When you're done, tap "Done" in the top right.
- Your avatar will be created and you can use it as a profile picture or as a sticker in a chat.
WhatsApp guides you step by step through the creation of your avatar. Image: © TURN On Screenshot 2022
In the end, your digital image will be created and you can use it as a profile picture or as a sticker. Image: © TURN On Screenshot 2022
Send WhatsApp avatar to friends
If you want to send your digital likeness as a sticker, go to any chat, tap the emoji icon in the text field, and then tap the new avatar icon in the bottom-right corner of the bar – right next to the sticker selection. There you will find 36 versions of your avatar, which symbolize different feelings or situations in life. If you tap one of them, it will appear in the chat.
- Like Facebook and Instagram, WhatsApp now offers the option of creating your own avatar and sending it in the chat.
- You can check whether the function is already available for you in the WhatsApp settings.
- To create your own avatar, call up the corresponding menu item. WhatsApp guides you through the entire process.
- Choose the right skin and hair color, hairstyle, figure and more – when you're done, tap on "Done".
- Use your WhatsApp avatar as a profile picture or send it in the form of various stickers in chats.