Watching a video backwards on your smartphone: This can not only be funny, but can also be used creatively in video projects. We'll show you how to play videos backwards on iPhone and Android devices.
This is how it works on the iPhone
For the reverse effect you need a third-party app on the iPhone. Picture:
If you want to play videos backwards on iPhone, you can't avoid a third-party app. With the normal photo app you can cut videos and use color filters, but playing the video backwards does not work. For this you need, for example, the App Videos Backwards Editor from the App Store. That's how it works:
- Open the app.
- Tap on "Video Library" and allow access to your photos.
- Select the video you want.
- Tap "Save Video" and the video will be saved in the Photos app.
How it works with Android devices
Android phones, just like iPhones, require a third-party app to play videos backwards. Picture:
It's the same on Android as on iOS: you need a separate app for videos to play backwards. This is child's play with the PowerDirector app from the Google Play Store. Proceed like this:
Step 1: Activate reverse effect
- Open the app.
- Tap the plus button for a new project.
- Choose a project name and aspect ratio. 16:9 is the standard video format.
- Allow your device to access your videos.
- In the "Add media" menu, select the desired video and tap on the plus symbol.
- Confirm the selection by tapping on the checkmark at the bottom right.
- In the project, tap the video track to highlight it.
- Select the "Rewind" function in the bottom right-hand menu.
Step 2: Render project
- In your project, tap the arrow icon at the top right to render the video.
- Choose a video resolution from the Produce & Share menu.
- Then tap on "Produce". Your video will be saved in the Photos app.
Tip : You can also share your video directly on Facebook, Instagram and Youtube. Under the "Produce and Share" menu you will find the appropriate selections.
- Playing videos backwards on iPhones and Android devices only works with a third-party app.
- The Videos Reverse Editor app is suitable for the iPhone.
- On an Android device, you can download the PowerDirector app from the Google Play Store.