Back from Windows 11 to Windows 10: This is how the downgrade works
Have you just switched to Windows 11, but still want to go back? We will show you how the downgrade works and what you need to watch out for.
Return to Windows 10: You have to consider that
When updating from Windows 10 to Windows 11, it is quite possible that errors have crept in. But it could also be that you are simply dissatisfied with the new version. In that case you can downgrade under certain conditions.
Microsoft gives you ten days to return to Windows 10. Also, the C:windows.old folder must still exist. The folder is mandatory for downgrading to Windows 10.
This is how the downgrade to Windows 10 works
Tired of Windows 11? You can return to Windows 10 in just a few steps. Image: © Microsoft 2021
If you want to return to Windows 10 and meet the above requirements, you need to do the following:
- From the Start menu, click "Settings."
- Select the "Recovery" function under "System".
- Click on "Back" under "Recovery options".
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Note : After downgrading to Windows 10, you can always upgrade to Windows 11 again.
Extend Windows 11 trial period
Maybe you want to return to Windows 10 at a later date? You can use a trick to extend the Windows 11 trial period. That's how it's done:
Note : You can only extend the trial period within the 10-day trial period.
- Press the Windows key or the magnifying glass in the taskbar.
- Type either "cmd" or "command prompt" into the search box.
- In the suggestions under "Command Prompt" click on " Run as administrator" and confirm with "Yes". You can also right-click the Command Prompt app and select Run as administrator.
- Type the command "DISM /Online /Set-OSUninstallWindow /Value:60" and click on the command prompt.
Your Windows 11 trial period is now 60 days. So you have enough time to test the new Windows version and return to Windows 10 if necessary.
- After updating to Windows 11, you generally have ten days to return to Windows 10.
- The downgrade works under "Recovery Options" in the Windows settings.
- It is important that the C:windows.old folder is not deleted from the computer.
- With a trick using the "command prompt" you can extend the test period. This allows you to downgrade from Windows 11 to Windows 10 at a later date.