Well made, with sufficient performance and not too expensive: The best laptop for children is an all-rounder that the youngsters will have fun with for years to come. We present suitable notebooks.
By Sven Wernicke
Sooner or later, after the smartphone, children will have their first computer. The choice often falls on a laptop, because a mobile computer is compact, quickly stowed away and can also be found in smaller children's rooms. The laptop should be of good quality so that the youngsters can enjoy the device and use it sensibly in their free time and at school. But you don't have to spend more than 700 euros for your son or daughter. In the price range below there are some high-quality devices that are optimally equipped for games, fun, creativity and homework.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (2022): tablet and laptop in one
The Galaxy Tab S6 Lite can be used as a tablet or – with a keyboard – as a laptop. Image: © Samsung/ XDA Developers 2020
A good laptop for kids that isn't a laptop at all? Nearly. The stable, child-friendly tablet Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (2022) can be converted into a notebook via accessories.
The Galaxy Tab S6 Lite is a useful device for children from the age of eight, which is also due to the Android operating system used and the OneUI surface from Samsung. A children's mode can be switched on at any time. For example, if reading isn’t going well or your child wants to play something. Older kids use the DeX mode with the attachable keyboard for homework and the like. In this mode, the device offers a Windows-like interface with optional mouse operation. And: You have access to thousands of (free) apps for Android, including drawing and painting with the included S Pen.
|+ Children's tablet and laptop alternative in one device||– Keyboard, protective cover and stable case for smaller children cost extra|
|+ Large variety of apps thanks to Android|
|+ Creative apps for the included drawing pen|
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite Buy now at
iPad: Cheapest entry into the Apple world
The iPad family also has models suitable for children. Image: © Apple 2022
An Apple product for children is a good choice in many ways. Especially if the parents also use devices from the manufacturer. With Family Sharing, you can keep an eye on your children's media consumption. At the same time, the Apple ecosystem is child-friendly and the quality of the products is high. The cheapest entry into the world of apples also gives kids a nice device: the iPad .
To use it as a laptop, you need the separately available Smart Keyboard, which protects the 10.2-inch retina display when not in use. Covers that are better suited for smaller children are also available from third-party manufacturers. The Apple Pencil is offered as an option for drawing on the iPad.
Tip: While the standard iPad is good for children from around eight years of age, the much more powerful iPad Air with its powerful M1 processor is a more attractive choice for older children with higher demands.
|+ Cheapest entry into Apple's ecosystem||– Keyboard and drawing pen only sold separately|
|+ Features designed for children and families (Family Sharing)|
|+ Wide range of accessories|
iPad 9th Generation Buy now at
Lenovo IdeaPad 3: True laptop with Chrome OS
The Lenovo IdeaPad 3 runs on the fast and simple Chrome OS. Image: © SATURN 2022
If you don't need Windows or macOS as the operating system, a laptop with the Google Chrome OS operating system is an excellent choice – the so-called Chromebooks are attractively priced and compatible with Android apps for smartphones. The Lenovo IdeaPad 3 also offers important ports and connections (including a microSD card slot, 3 x USB, a connection for a microphone or headphones, WLAN, Bluetooth) and a 14-inch screen. Working on it is fun!
The IdeaPad 3 is well prepared for e-mails, surfing, video telephony and all Internet-based services. The Intel processor, the 4 GB of RAM and the 64 GB of flash memory are adequate. Only graphically demanding games are not for the Lenovo IdeaPad 3. If games are not important, the laptop is suitable for children from around ten years of age.
|+ Full-fledged laptop with many ports||– Windows applications do not work|
|+ Large 14-inch display with Full HD resolution||– Not suitable for more complex games|
|+ Beginner-friendly, fast operating system (Chrome OS)|
|+ Compatible with Android apps|
Lenovo IdeaPad 3 Buy now at
Microsoft Surface Laptop Go 2: For high demands
The Surface Laptop Go 2 is a recommendation for older kids and teens. Image: © SATURN 2022
The Surface Laptop Go 2 is the perfect computer for kids aged twelve and over and teenagers. The device is available in beautiful colors and looks good.
The Surface Laptop Go 2 is designed for Windows 11 and is well equipped with at least 4 GB of memory and an 11th generation Intel Core i5 processor. A 128 GB SSD is sufficient for most applications, the 12.4 inch PixelSense display is a real eye-catcher.
Tip: The predecessor, the first Surface Laptop Go , is still a recommendation. It still has the 10th generation Intel processor and does not have a fingerprint sensor, but it is interesting for bargain hunters.
|+ Very attractive laptop for older kids, teens and young adults||–|
|+ Sufficient performance for almost all tasks|
|+ Optimized for Windows|
|+ Compact and still big enough|
Microsoft Surface Laptop Go 2 Buy now at
Acer Aspire 3: For (budding) gaming fans
The Acer Aspire 3 is also suitable for gaming. Image: © SATURN 2022
Does your child like to gamble? Then it is certainly already twelve years or older. Today's games require powerful components. And they are expensive. The Acer Aspire 3 laptop offers an entry point, which has a processor including a graphics unit that is sufficiently dimensioned for many games. Although the device is not suitable for the latest blockbusters, it is very suitable for a large number of current Windows games.
In addition, the Acer Aspire 3 is well equipped: 8 GB RAM, a 1 TB SSD, many connections and a 15.6-inch screen allow you to work comfortably. And the device is impressive in the color Electric Blue.
|+ Suitable for games thanks to the Intel Iris Xe graphics unit||– Relatively large|
|+ A lot of power for almost all tasks||– Oversized for younger children|
|+ Large number of connections|
Acer Aspire 3 Buy now at
What you should consider when buying a laptop for children
As is so often the case when buying a laptop for a child: if you buy cheap, you buy twice! If you want your daughter or son to be able to enjoy the computer for a long time, pay attention to good workmanship and modern equipment, it is also better to invest a few euros extra in accessories such as display foil and protective cover, especially with a younger child.
You should also note:
- Operating system: Android, iPadOS, Chrome OS, Windows, macOS, Linux – what should I choose?
Try to answer the following questions to make the right choice:
- What programs does your child need?
- Is there school software to be installed on the device?
- Which platform are you most familiar with as a parent?
- Which ecosystem (Google, Windows, Apple) do you or your family prefer?
- What does your child wish for, how does it look in his circle of friends?
The fact is: All operating systems are equally suitable for office, Internet and e-mail.
- Display size: For sporadic work (homework), the screen should be at least 10 inches in size. This is sufficient and practical for on the go. Laptops with a display diagonal of 12 inches or more are suitable for films, series, YouTube, games and regular school use. Devices with a 17-inch display, on the other hand, are too big and bulky for mobile use.
- Hardware: Best processor, lots of memory, large hard drive, high-resolution display – everyone probably wants that. But for children, many things are not necessary. When looking for the best laptop for kids, focus primarily on what your child really needs. Very powerful components are almost exclusively required for complex games, for most tasks significantly less is enough.
- Workmanship: Unfortunately, there are hardly any laptops with waterproof keyboards and extremely stable housings that have been specifically developed for children. Therefore, pay attention to high-quality products that can take a beating.
- The right age: How old should the child be for the first laptop? There is no general answer to this. It is crucial that your offspring has a serious interest and is able and willing to handle the device properly. It can therefore make sense to start with an entertainment-focused tablet at the age of eight or nine, which can later be converted into a laptop with accessories.