Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S have been available in stores since November 2020. Is the Xbox One, Xbox One S or Xbox One X still worth buying now? Absolutely! Here you can find out why Microsoft's predecessor consoles should stay up to date for a while – and who still needs the Series X.
There are great advantages in only now thinking about buying an Xbox One : The console has been on the market for a few years, the technology has been updated several times and is therefore mature, the game library is extensive and the price for all models is lower than when it was released.
The only drawback: At the end of 2020, the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S replaced the Xbox One generation. Games are currently still being released for both console generations.
Xbox Series S Buy Now At
Games supply: Secured for years
Microsoft has already confirmed that new games from Xbox Game Studios will not only be available for the new console and PC from the end of 2020. Rather, the old models are still supported, but they handle the corresponding games with slimmed-down graphics and/or fewer frames per second. Games developed by Microsoft that only run on the newer consoles and PCs should not appear until a year later at the earliest. "Microsoft Flight Simulator" only works via a detour on the Xbox One, namely via cloud streaming.
"Halo Infinite" will be released for the Xbox Series X, but will also run on the Xbox One. Image: © Xbox/Microsoft Studios 2018
A somewhat unpredictable factor is third-party developer games. It is difficult to say whether Ubisoft will release its next "Assassin's Creed" after "Assassin's Creed Valhalla" only for the Xbox Series X and no longer for the Xbox One. Typically, however, there is a longer phase in which most games appear as so-called "crossgen titles" for both the old and the new generation of consoles. This phase will also exist when switching between Xbox One and Xbox Series, so you can probably still expect new games for Xbox One at least until 2022.
Graphics, Sound & Performance
It's no secret: the Xbox Series X is significantly more powerful than the Xbox One. That means: Of course, current and upcoming games aren't quite as chic and don't run quite as smoothly on the previous generation as on the brand new model. However, Microsoft even removed some functions of the Xbox One in the new generation. Whether that speaks against the purchase for you as a whole is a type question:
- Is the best possible performance in native 4K resolution with maximum details, high-end sound and extremely short loading times more important to you than a moderate purchase price? Then your best bet is to wait for the Xbox Series X.
- Don't you have a 4K TV, don't you play in the highest possible resolution or is the topic just not that important to you? Are current games absolutely pretty and smooth enough for you, do you still have a lot of old games to catch up on and would you rather have an affordable all-inclusive package than the very latest technology? Then an Xbox One model is still worthwhile.
Which Xbox One is right for you?
Microsoft has released different versions of the Xbox One. The console was continuously improved technically.
- Xbox One (2013)
- Xbox One S (2016)
- Xbox One X (2017)
There is also the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition, without a disc drive. Which model suits whom, we explain in this detailed overview .
Xbox Series X Buy Now At
Buy Xbox One now or wait?
Some of the penultimate generation models will continue to be sold even though the Xbox Series X is already out. The purchase prices of the old consoles are therefore continuing to fall – good for game fans with a tight budget. However, a longer wait also reduces the window of time in which the console is still supported.
If you're still looking to snag a brand new Xbox One console, don't wait too long. In January 2022, Cindy Walker, senior director of Xbox product marketing, revealed that Microsoft has n't produced any Xbox One consoles since late 2020 as it wants to focus on the Xbox Series X/S. Only remaining stocks of the Xbox One series are available from retailers. If these are used up, you only get the consoles used.
Microsoft's next-gen: Xbox Series S (left) and Xbox Series X. Image: © Microsoft 2020
With the Xbox Series S, Microsoft also offers a cheaper next-gen model that does not display modern games in 4K resolution, but in a maximum of 1440p. The console comes without a disc drive and with a relatively small memory (512 GB) and costs only 299 euros at the start of sales. It remains to be seen how much the prices of the Xbox One generation will then drop. If you want to save money but still want the next generation, you should consider the console as an alternative.
Xbox Series S Buy Now At
- The Xbox Series X was released in November 2020. However, the Xbox One is not yet obsolete: new games will also be released for the Xbox One series at least through 2022.
- Well-engineered hardware and firmware, an impressive catalog of games and cheaper purchase prices compared to the release are good arguments for the Xbox One.
- If you always want the best current technology and the best graphics and performance, you can access the Xbox Series X or the Xbox Series S.