Would you like to use Spotify on your Apple HomePod? Unfortunately, this is currently only possible in a roundabout way. We explain how it works.
Why is there no Spotify on the Apple HomePod?
After only the in-house music streaming service Apple Music was natively supported on Apple's HomePod for a long time, the iPhone group finally opened the doors for third-party providers in September 2020. In May 2021, Deezer was finally the first provider in Germany to run directly on HomePods. So far (as of November 2021) there is no HomePod integration from the popular provider Spotify. This means that you cannot start Spotify streams via voice control with Siri.
HomePod mini Buy now at
That's how it works anyway
So although there is no native Spotify integration on the Apple HomePod, that does not mean that you cannot use the streaming service on the smart speaker at all. It still works with this trick:
- The detour runs via Apple's AirPlay interface. You need a mobile device such as an iPhone or iPad.
- At least iOS 11.2.5 must be installed as the operating system on the device. Check this under "Settings> General> Info".
- The iPhone / iPad and the HomePod must be in the same WLAN. In addition, Bluetooth must be activated on both devices.
- Open the Spotify app and start a song.
- Tap the speaker icon.
- A menu with the name "Playback on" will now appear.
- Here tap on the option "AirPlay or Bluetooth".
- Select the HomePod you want to play Spotify on – done!
- Currently only Apple Music and Deezer run natively on the HomePod (mini) in Germany. These services can therefore be controlled directly with the Siri voice assistant.
- If you want to hear Spotify songs on your HomePod, you have to take the detour via AirPlay.
- To do this, you have to start a song in the Spotify app, tap on the speaker icon and then on "AirPlay or Bluetooth". Here you can then select your HomePod.