The dock on the Apple Watch is a practical way to open apps particularly quickly. We explain how you can display and use the dock on the Apple Watch.
What is the dock on the Apple Watch?
The dock on the Apple Watch means quick access to the apps last used or previously defined favorite apps. The app view not only shows a list of the applications, but also a small preview of the latest content of the app.
Show on Apple Watch Dock
You can display the dock on the Apple Watch by briefly pressing the side button (under the Digital Crown). Scrolling is done by swiping or turning the digital crown. A tap on the respective app card opens the application. Pressing the side button or, alternatively, the Digital Crown closes the dock.
This is what apps look like in the Dock on Apple Watch. Image: © Apple / Screenshot 2021
Customize the dock on the iPhone
Two different things can be displayed in the dock on the Apple Watch:
- The 10 most recently used apps in the order they were opened (most recent at the top).
- Up to 10 favorite apps.
This is how you determine which view is used:
- Open the Watch app on the iPhone connected to the Apple Watch.
- Tap on "My Watch" and then on the menu item "Dock".
- Choose between "Recently used" and "Favorites".
- If the item "Favorites" is selected, you can add apps (plus symbol) and remove them (minus symbol) and change the order (three-line symbol) in a list. Tap "Done" to save.
Customize the dock directly on the Apple Watch
On the Apple Watch itself, you can switch between "Recently used" and "Favorites" under "Settings> Dock".
You can remove individual apps directly on the Apple Watch in the "Recently used" as well as in the "Favorites" view. To do this, simply open the dock with the side button, swipe the corresponding app to the left and then tap the large X symbol.
Apps can also be removed from the dock directly on the Apple Watch. Image: © Apple 2021
- The dock on the Apple Watch is a quick overview of recently opened apps or favorite apps.
- The dock is called up by briefly pressing the side button on the Apple Watch.
- You can switch between the "Recently used" and "Favorites" views via the watch app on the iPhone ("My Watch> Dock") or directly on the Apple Watch ("Settings> Dock").
- The order of the favorites and the definition of the apps can be changed.