The next big update for the Mac will follow in autumn with macOS Monterey. Here you can find out which new features the new operating system brings – and what you need to know about installation, compatibility and release.
As part of WWDC 2021, Apple not only revealed the name for its new Mac system – Monterey, a coastal city in California – but also the new features. In autumn, Mac users can look forward to a radically improved FaceTime app, numerous Safari innovations and the release of the Shortcuts app for the Mac.
MacOS Monterey brings these new functions
There are many new features for FaceTime, such as portrait mode. Image: © Apple 2021
- Safari : New tab design provides a better overview when surfing. New tab bar adapts to website color and combines tabs, toolbar and search in a compact design. Efficient organization with the help of tab groups that provide a better overview. Handy for traveling or shopping.
- Shortcuts app: The shortcut app known from the iPhone comes to the Mac. This allows you to automate daily tasks and become more productive. Extensive presets are available to enable a quick start, for example for sharing files or creating GIFs. In combination with the shortcut editor, the shortcuts can be adapted to your own workflows.
- Notes : Quick Notes makes it easy to write down anywhere. Links from an app can also be added to Notes, as can Safari websites or addresses from Apple Maps. Also new are mentions of other users and a new Activity View with the processing history of all users. In addition, notes can be divided into categories with tags.
- Focus : Here you can set a status, such as work or gaming. Based on this, macOS Monterey filters incoming notifications, which can be individually adjusted depending on the status. In addition, focus is synchronized on all your Apple devices.
- FaceTime : With 3D audio you can hear the voices during a video call from the direction where the person is on the display during the call. Background noise is suppressed by machine learning, while, conversely, ambient noise can be reproduced using wide spectrum. This is useful when there are several speakers in the room. Thanks to the M1 chip, there is a new portrait mode in which the background is automatically blurred.
- SharePlay : Share music, TV content or anything else with contacts directly from the FaceTime app.
- Universal Control : Smooth switching between Mac and iPad with mouse and keyboard – drag & drop between multiple devices is also possible.
These Macs are compatible with macOS Monterey
Numerous Macs are compatible with the new macOS. Image: © Apple 2021
- iMac (Late 2015 and newer)
- iMac Pro (2017 and newer)
- MacBook (early 2016 and newer)
- MacBook Air (early 2015 and newer)
- MacBook Pro (early 2015 and newer)
- Mac mini (Late 2014 and newer)
- Mac Pro (Late 2013 and newer)
How can I download macOS Monterey as beta?
You can try out the beta of macOS Monterey right now. Image: © Apple 2021
MacOS Monterey will not officially appear until autumn 2021 – but beta testers can already try out the new operating system now. Before doing this, however, you should create a current Mac backup in case something goes wrong. This is also required if you want to uninstall macOS Monterey.
In general, productive use of the beta software is not recommended, as it can still contain bugs and cause other difficulties. If you want to test macOS Monterey, you have to proceed as follows:
- Go to the Apple website and log in with your Apple ID. If you don't already have one, you will need to create one beforehand in order to participate in the beta program.
- Read the Apple beta agreement carefully and confirm it by clicking on "Accept".
- Register your Mac now.
- You will now be informed directly by notification about new beta versions.
- In the area "System Settings> Software Update" you can download and install the beta of macOS Monterey.
macOS Monterey: When will the final release take place?
The new macOS will be released in autumn. Image: © Apple 2021
Apple does not give an exact release date for macOS Monterey, instead vaguely speaking of autumn 2021. Thus, the final release should take place in September or October.
- At WWDC 2021 Apple presented its new Mac operating system macOS Monterey.
- The new software mainly brings improvements for Safari and FaceTime and brings new apps such as shortcuts to the Mac.
- You can sign up for the beta program on Apple's website and test the pre-release version on your Mac.
- The final release of macOS Monterey is due in autumn 2021.