You can try Windows 11 before the release. There is a preview version for download for compatible computers. We'll tell you how to do it and what to look out for.
A good six years after the release of Windows 10, Microsoft plans to release Windows 11, a new operating system for PCs, this year. The launch is currently roughly planned for autumn 2021, while an exact release date has not yet been communicated. For all those who want to take a look at the new operating system now, there is the option of downloading a preview version. This is a beta version in which not all functions have been implemented yet.
Is Windows 11 running on your PC?
Before you can think about installing a preview version of Windows 11 on your computer, you should check whether the operating system can run on it. Unlike previous Windows versions, this time Microsoft has defined very strict system requirements that a device must meet in order for Windows 11 to work on it.
Microsoft has not yet fully finalized the system requirements. However, PCs must probably meet the following requirements in order to be fit for Windows 11:
- Dual-core processor (64 bit) with at least 1 GHz and at least two cores
- At least 8th generation Intel processor or 2nd generation AMD Ryzen processor or Qualcomm processor
- 64 GB system memory
- 4 GB of RAM
- TPM 2.0
- Secure boot activated
- UEFI enabled
- Hard drive formatted in GPT
- 720p screen with a minimum diagonal of 9.0 inches
To check whether your own computer meets these requirements, Microsoft has released a small tool called PC Health Check, which you can download for free online . Alternatively, you can use the third-party tool WhyNotWin11 , which provides much more precise information on system compatibility.
Become a member of the Windows Insider Program
In order to get the preview version of Windows 11, you have to become a Windows insider. That's someone who can pre-release it to do the work for Microsoft. Conveniently, every user can register for the so-called insider program free of charge. All you need to start with is a Microsoft account.
You can join the Windows 11 Insider Program via the website. Image: © Microsoft / Screenshot: 2021
- Open the Windows Insider Program website in your web browser and click on "Register".
- Click the "Begin Flighting" button on the welcome screen to complete the registration
Download the Windows 11 preview
Now it continues directly in Windows 10:
You can join an Insider channel under "Settings> Update and Security> Windows Insider. Image: © Microsoft / Screenshot: 2021
- Open there in the "Settings" of Windows 10 the sub-item "Update and Security".
- Click on "Windows Insider Program" in the selection bar on the left.
- Now click on "Let's go" in the right-hand window and use the plus symbol to link your Microsoft account with which you previously registered in the Insider program.
- After the link click on "Release Preview Channel" to get a preview version of Windows 11 for your PC.
- Select the "Dev Channel" to get access to a very early version of Windows 11.
- Then click in the left selection bar on Windows Update "and then in the right window on Check for updates".
- If a preview version of Windows 11 is available for your PC, it should be displayed after a short time and you can download and install it using the button shown.
Preview versions can be incomplete and unstable
The preview versions of Windows 11 from the Windows Insider Program are unfinished beta versions. Not only can important functions be missing in these, incompatibilities with other programs can also occur and crashes cannot be ruled out. Therefore, you should never install the preview version of Windows 11 on a PC that you regularly rely on for work or for your hobbies.
- Windows 11 is expected to be released in autumn 2021.
- You can already get a preview version of the program now.
- To do this, you need a compatible computer, a Microsoft account and you have to log into the Windows Insider Program.
- As soon as you are registered as a Windows Insider, you can join a preview channel under "Settings> Update and Security> Windows Insider" and download a pre-release version of Windows 11.