By creating rules, it is very easy to set up automatic forwarding for e-mails in Outlook. Users can precisely determine which emails should be forwarded to another address. Our guide reveals how this works.
If you have multiple e-mail accounts, you may want to receive important e-mails bundled to a single address. With Microsoft Outlook this can be done very easily by automatically forwarding e-mails. With the help of rules that have been created, users can even create a very precise filter with which only certain emails are forwarded. You can now find out how to set up automatic forwarding in Outlook 2019 and in Microsoft's free version Outlook 365.
Microsoft Office 365 Home Buy now at
Set up automatic forwarding in Outlook 2019
With these step-by-step instructions, automatic forwarding is set up in Outlook in no time:
- Start Outlook and click on the "Start" tab in the menu bar. In the menu ribbon below you then click on "Rules" and finally on "Manage rules and notifications …".
- In the new window click on the "New rule …" button. The rule wizard will now open. Under "Create rule without template", select the option "Apply rule to messages I have received" .
- Conditions for forwarding can now be selected. For example, if you only want to forward e-mails that come from a specific sender, check the option "Comes from a person / public group" and then define the sender more precisely. If you would like all e-mails to be forwarded , do not select any option.
- When you have defined all the desired conditions, you have to select in the second window what should happen to the incoming messages. Select the option "forward this to a person / public group" .
- By clicking on the text highlighted in blue, you can now enter the desired e-mail address to which incoming e-mails should be forwarded. In the newly opened window, either select the address from the address book or enter it manually in the field next to the "To" button . Then confirm with "OK" and "Next".
- In the next window, exceptions for the forwarding can be specified if desired. If you don't want to exclude anything, click on "Next".
- In the final window you can now assign a name to the rule. It is also important that you check the option "Activate this rule" , otherwise the rule will not be executed. With a click on "Finish" the setup of the automatic forwarding in Outlook is complete.
Set up automatic forwarding in Office 365
The automatic forwarding of emails in Outlook 365 can be set up in just a few steps. Image: © Microsoft / Screenshot 2021
If you use Microsoft's free e-mail program Office 365 instead of Outlook 2019, you can also forward your incoming e-mails to other addresses:
- Log into the Outlook Web App with your access data.
- Click on the gear in your e-mail inbox to get to the settings.
- In the navigation on the right, scroll down and click on "Show all Outlook settings" .
- In the new window you click in the menu on the far left on the entry "E-Mail" and in the menu next to it on "Rules" .
- Now press the button "Add new rule". A simple mask then opens in which you can define conditions for automatic forwarding.
- First enter a name for the forwarding in field 1.
- In field 2 you can specify one or more conditions for the forwarding in the drop-down menu. Select your options there. If you want to redirect or forward all messages to a different address, scroll down to the bottom and click on "Apply to all messages" .
- In field 3 you can now select one or more actions that should be carried out with the incoming emails. Select either "Forward To" or "Forward To" from the drop-down menu. You will find out what differentiates the two options below.
- In the field next to the action then enter the corresponding e-mail address to which your messages should be forwarded.
- If you wish, you can now specify exceptions in field 4. If you do not want to define any exceptions, you can remove the field by clicking on the cross.
- If you want other existing rules to be ignored when e-mail forwarding is used, you have to check the option "End processing of further rules" . If several rules are to be followed, do not check them there.
- Now click on the "Save" button and the setup of automatic forwarding in Outlook 365 is complete.
Forward or redirect messages?
With the "Forward message" option, the reply to a forwarded e-mail is sent to the address from which it was forwarded. With "redirect message", however, your replies will reach the address of the original sender directly.
Microsoft Office 365 Home Buy now at
- The automatic forwarding in Outlook 2019 and Outlook 365 takes place via definable rules.
- First select the conditions under which emails should be forwarded to another account and then enter the appropriate address.
- If you wish, you can also define exceptions for automatic forwarding.