In this article:
Sometimes the speaker doesn't work in Windows 10. Sound problems like these can be caused by a variety of causes. We'll tell you what it could be if you don't have a sound and what solutions are available.
Especially after an update or when connecting different speakers and headsets, a Windows 10 PC may not play any sound. Even if several monitors are connected at the same time, sound problems can occur. We'll tell you why this could be and what options you have to solve the problems.
Speaker does not work: set speaker as default
Especially if you have several audio devices or monitors connected to your PC, it can happen that the sound is not always automatically reproduced on the speaker or headset on which you want it to be. The solution to this problem is to define the audio device you want as the standard.
- Right-click on the small speaker icon in the system tray.
- Select the item "Open sound settings" in the context menu.
- Under "Select output device" the device should actually be listed on which you want to hear the sound.
- Select the correct device from the list, then the sound should be played through this device.
Select the right headset or speaker as the output device. Image: © / Screenshot: 2021
Activate loudspeaker or headset
It is also possible that the connected or built-in loudspeaker or headphones in the system itself are not activated at all and therefore no sound comes out. Fortunately, activation is very easy.
- Go to "Control Panel> Hardware and Sound> Sound".
- If your audio device is not in the list, click with the right mouse button on an empty area and select "Show deactivated devices".
- Then right click on the deactivated speaker or headset and select "Activate".
You can activate playback devices in the control panel. Image: © Microsoft / Screenshot: 2021
Wrong audio driver does not produce any sound under Windows 10
The problem can of course also have a completely different cause. For example, a wrong, faulty or simply outdated audio driver can ensure that your Windows 10 PC no longer outputs sound.
- Right-click on the Windows Start button and select "Device Manager".
- Search for the entry "Audio, Video and Game Controllers" and expand it.
- Then you do a double click on your sound card or the "High Definition Audio Device" for which you want to check the driver.
- Then select the "Driver" tab in the opened device window and click the "Update driver" button.
- Click on the entry "Automatically search for the latest driver software".
Drivers can be updated via the device manager. Image: © Patrick 2017
If no new driver is found, you can also search the manufacturer of your sound card manually for a current driver. To do this, go to the manufacturer's website and look for a suitable driver for your sound card.
Perform a troubleshooting
If drivers don't help, you can also try the "Troubleshoot" function.
- Right-click the speaker icon.
- Select "Troubleshoot Sound Problems".
- Select the device that is having problems.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
Select the device to troubleshoot. Image: © Microsoft / Screenshot: 2021
Other causes of sound problems on Windows 10
Still no sound? Of course, if the above tips don't work, there may be another problem. For example, a hardware defect in the sound card, loudspeaker or headset is conceivable. The audio connections on the PC could also have loose connections. If you use external speakers or an external headset, you should therefore try to test the devices on a different PC or an audio system. If there is no solution in sight or a hardware defect becomes apparent, you can contact the manufacturer's support.
- Sound problems can have various causes in Windows 10.
- Your preferred audio device may not be set as the default, so first check if you can set it as the default.
- If your audio device is not activated in the system, you can activate it in the audio settings.
- A faulty or outdated driver can also cause problems, which is why you should search for a new driver via the device manager or manually.
- As a last resort, you can troubleshoot problems through the control panel.
- However, hardware defects or a loose connection can also cause the sound problems.