Read Outlook password: How it works
Do you want to read your Outlook password because you forgot it? The free tool Mail PassView 1.90 can do just that and supports Outlook as well as other email clients. We explain how you use the program.
By Niko Plaas
Read Outlook password: Why actually?
In order to manage your mails with software like Outlook, you have to enter access data such as your user name and the associated password. Once entered in the program, you usually don't need the data anymore, because Outlook saves it.
Then comes the day when something stops working and you have to set up the program again. Or you want to use Outlook on another system, a website or via a mobile app. If you then no longer know your password and have not written it down, you are faced with a problem: your account can no longer be reached. And reading out the password is not easily possible. So what to do?
How to use Mail PassView 1.90
© Screenshot / NirSoft 2020
The free tool Mail PassView 1.90 supports Outlook as well as other mail programs.
Mail PassView 1.90 is a lean program that can read the passwords from Outlook and other mail programs. It works very simply:
- Download Mail PassView 1.90 from the manufacturer's website. The software is available as a ZIP file or uncompressed.
- Start the program on your computer.
- Now all mail accounts and their access data are displayed, which are set up on your computer.
- Write down your Outlook password. You can also save it directly in the program.
Mail PassView 1.90 not only shows the password of your Outlook account. The program also reads out other information, such as the user name, the associated email address and details about the server. It also estimates the password strength. You can optionally export the data as a text file or as an HTML document.
Warning: Depending on the antivirus program, Mail PassView 1.90 may be recognized as a threat and malware. Add a corresponding exception to your virus scanner so that you can download or start the tool.
These versions of Outlook are supported
If you want to read the password from Outlook, Mail PassView 1.90 will help you with various versions of the mail program. The tool works with these Outlook versions:
- Outlook Express
- Microsoft Outlook 2000 (only POP3 and SMTP accounts)
- Microsoft Outlook 2002/2003/2007/2010/2013/2016 (POP3, IMAP, http and SMTP accounts)
Mail PassView 1.90 also supports various third-party mail clients, including Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail, Eudora and Mozilla Thunderbird (as long as the password has not been encrypted with a master password). A complete list of all supported programs can be found on the Mail PassView website under "Description". At the bottom of this page, in a table, there is also a German language file available for download, with which you can use the program in German.
- The Outlook password is quickly forgotten because the mail program saves it and you usually do not have to enter it again
- Mail PassView 1.90 can read out the passwords of all email accounts in Outlook as well as other information such as the server address
- In addition to various versions of Outlook, the tool also supports many other e-mail programs