A Fritzbox VPN connection also enables access to the home network from outside. The setup is not that easy. We explain how it works and what advantages such a VPN connection has.
In many households, a Fritzbox not only serves as a modem with access to the network, but also as a control center for the home network. What many users do not know: AVM routers can do even more. Thanks to an integrated VPN mode, you can also access your home network from the Fritzbox while on the go. In the following you will find out what this feature brings in everyday life and how you can use it.
What is a VPN and why do you need it?
The abbreviation VPN stands for "Virtual Private Network" and is used in practice for two different things. Known above all are so-called VPN services that promise anonymized data traffic in the network.
There is also the option of setting up a private VPN network. This enables you to virtually expand your own home network. With such a VPN, users can securely connect to their home network while on the go and get access to the devices connected there.
Among other things, it is possible to control smart home devices on the go and have direct access to private NAS servers everywhere. The router can also be operated remotely via the VPN connection.
VPN on Fritzbox: the requirements
So that you can set up a VPN connection to your Fritzbox, some requirements must be met. The first thing you should do is create a MyFritz account with AVM. You can do that via the Fritzbox menu.
- Open the web browser on the computer and type fritz.box in the address bar
- Log in with the access data that you can find in the Fritzbox manual or on the bottom of the device
- Select the sub-item "Internet> MyFritz account" and create an account
© AVM / screenshot: 2020
You can create a MyFritz account in the Fritzbox menu.
VPN on Fritzbox: step by step
After you have created the MyFritz account, go to the myfritz.net website and log in with your access data. After logging in, you will see a MyFritz address, among other things. This is the web address via which your Fritzbox will always be accessible via the Internet in the future.
The next step is to create a Fritzbox user. This is not the same as the MyFritz account. Explanation: The MyFritz account allows access to the MyFritz service, the user account enables access to the router itself. You create the user in the menu of the router.
Under "System> Fritzbox user" you can add a new user.
- Log in to your FritzBox
- Select the menu item "System" and then click on "Fritzbox user> Add user"
- Create a user – you can enter the same email address as the one you use for the MyFritz account
- Make sure that you tick the box "Allow Internet access"
- Also check "VPN" before confirming with "ok"
© AVM / screenshot: 2020
Make sure you put the two hooks.
Now you can theoretically use the VPN function of your Fritzbox with the user account you just created. In order for this to work, you still need to set up access to the Fritzbox VPN on your end devices.
Set up access to the VPN
So that you can access the VPN of the Fritzbox on the go, you have to make a few settings on your end device. Here's how it works on Android:
- Open the settings
- Select the sub-item "Wireless & networks> More> VPN" or "Connections> More connections> VPN"
- Now enter the VPN data
- Then confirm the entries and start the connection with the VPN
© Samsung / Screenshot: 2020
The input mask for VPN connections under Android.
Depending on the Android device, the process can be a little different or individual menu items can be named differently. The setup works quite similarly under iOS:
- Open the settings
- Select the sub-item "General> VPN> Add VPN"
- Enter the VPN access data in the fields provided
- Make sure that the "Use certificate" setting is set to inactive and set the "Proxy" settings to "Off"
© Apple / Screenshot: 2020
The input mask for VPN connections under iOS.
You can find the VPN access data in the Fritzbox menu under "System> Fritzbox user" by clicking on "Edit" behind the configured user and then selecting the link "Show VPN settings" below
- With a Fritzbox you can set up a VPN connection. This also allows access to the home network from outside. This allows you to control smart home devices at any time or stream data from NAS servers.
- To set up a VPN connection, you need to link the Fritzbox with a MyFritz account and also create a Fritzbox user account.
- For the user account you activate in the menu "Access from the Internet" and "VPN"
- As soon as the VPN connection is activated, you can dial in from your end devices.