The Vagabond's new season has an update to Gambit Mode in Destiny 2: Gambit Prime. This sharpened version of the popular mode from the Forsaken expansion is more intense and a lot harder. We explain the differences to the classic Gambit and give helpful hints.
With the Gambit mode developer Bungie has invented in the extension "Forsaken" a whole new form of competitive game for "Destiny 2". The idea: Two teams of guardians fight in separate arenas against computer opponents and collect so-called particles.
The particles can be used at a bank in the middle of the Arenas to block the opponent team and throw in stronger opponents. From time to time, portals also open, allowing one player to get into the other arena and stir up the opposition team. The first player to collect a certain number of particles summons a powerful final boss. The team that defeats this so-called prehistoric man before the other, wins the round.
What are the differences between Gambit and Gambit Prime?
The new game variant Gambit Prime came in early March 2019 into the game and works basically just like Gambit. However, she has some peculiarities:
- Instead of three rounds, only one is played. It immediately wins the team that first defeats his prehistoric man – and not the team that decides two out of three matches for themselves.
- The Primevalists are more like the Raid bosses in Gambit Prime: they have multiple stages, as well as specific mechanics and attacks that require collusion and team play.
- Primal Timers are harder to summon: Instead of 75 particles you'll need Gambit Prime 100 and you'll have to kill a few strong opponents in the arena before the boss is vulnerable. Then a fountain of light will appear on the ground – stand in it to cause extra damage.
- You can not only block the enemy bank, but also steal particles from it in different ways.
- Four special pieces of equipment and weapons allow you to specifically work towards a specific style of play.
In Gambit Prime you have to face stronger opponents.
These tips lead you to victory in Gambit Prime
To win in Gambit Prime, you need to get the most out of the new game mechanics. Good preparation, communication and specialization in a specific role are essential. The following tips will help you jump into the mode.
1. Grab the Gambit Armor Kits
There are four special Gambit Prime armor sets that are color coded and used to set you up for a specific role in a Gambit match. The four roles are:
- Drescher (green): Defeat AI opponents and bosses
- Invader (red): Jump through the portal and shuffle your opponent team
- Collector (white): Collects particles and delivers them to the bank
- Guardian (yellow): Protects the bank, clears opponents out of the way and supports teammates
Guardians (left) and Drescher clear each of their opponents in their own way.
You get all four armor sets by playing the also new mode Billing. In this cooperative game mode you fight against waves of AI opponents. You can use so-called synths that are assigned to specific Gambit armor sets. The synths in turn get by playing Gambit Prime.
Activate a synth before a round of billing. If you win the round, you have the chance to receive a piece of armor as a reward.
2. Play your style
Do you have your armor sets together? Then get dressed up and choose the appropriate style of play! It makes sense to adhere to the requirements of the sets, because each brings four special skills that strengthen you in your role:
- Drescher: Weaken high-level targets, generate special ammo at Multikills, acquired particles linger longer on the ground, grenade recharges by killing powerful enemies
- Invader: Generates ammunition when invading the enemy arena, increases Invasion Shield, inflicts bonus damage after killing enemy players, blocks the opponent's bank as it invades, and steals particles
- Collector: Collected particles fall to the ground at death and can be collected by others, particles provide an overshield, delivering particles generates ammunition, can carry up to 20 particles and therefore summon particularly strong blockers
- Guardian: Multikills grant damage bonus to possessed, regenerate health near the bank, mark enemy invaders for their own team, reinforcing allies in the effect area of the Lightwell
As an intruder, you are the specialist in cunningly shutting down other players.
You only get all four abilities of each role if you wear the complete armor. You can also mix, but then have to give up a few skills. Specialization is well worth it and should influence your style of play and your equipment. A collector is about aggressive action against AI opponents to face – for example, with a shotgun. Invaders can use strong weapons with a small magazine, because they generate ammunition in the opposing arena.
3. Combine blockers & get rid of enemy blockers early
If you summon two or more blockers into the opposing arena, steal particles from the bank – this mechanic is new to Gambit Prime. Use it! Always send a small and a medium blocker over at the same time, because small opponents can protect larger ones with shields. Even better: two small and two middle blockers – they will cost your opponents a lot of time.
With strategically placed blockers you empty the bank of your opponents.
On the other hand, this also means: Eliminate blockers sent by the opponent as fast as possible! A single adversary only blocks and steals nothing, but when a second one comes in, it becomes critical to your particle fortune. Get rid of all blockers as much as possible before they become a problem.
4. Throw everything forward
In the classic Gambit it was a veritable strategy to hoard power ammunition and super-attacks and to sink only at the end of the round in the primeval era. In Gambit Prime this does not work so well, because you give away a lot of energy. So also use the heavy guns to quickly and effectively get rid of the steadily increasing AI opponents. Killing high-level targets also drops a lot of particles.
You can let your opponents pass in a super-cloud of cosmic energy? Then do not hesitate!
5. Talk to each other!
Cooperation is even more important in Gambit Prime than in other activities in Destiny 2. If you are serious about winning, voice chat is a must for good cooperation. Ideally, you also have a solid group where everyone knows their role and behaves accordingly. Even if three team members agree well, a randomly assigned, uninitiated fourth player can spoil the whole strategy.
Teamwork is important in Gambit and virtually essential in Gambit Prime!
- Gambit Prime is a faster, more intense version of the gambit game mode in Destiny 2.
- Central are the four sets of armor for thrashers, invaders, collectors, and guards with whom you can specialize in a role.
- Get the armor sets in Billing mode.
- Decide on a role and adapt your style of play to it.
- Send more blockers to your opponents whenever possible – this will steal particles from the bank.
- Do not hold back power weapons and super abilities, but save time.
- Gambit Prime works best in a well-rehearsed team that communicates with each other via voice chat.